Skip to main content

Featured Post

Suicide Squad 2 - Movie Review

Streaming: HBOMAX Suicide Squad 1 was one of the finest DC movies(Minus Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy) to come out from their camp. Do not go by the reviews. It was so well received that Harley Quinn had her own movie. Now cut to Suicide Squad 2 with the famous James Gunn from Marvel camp at the helm, it barely meets the expectations.  Marvel made it seem so easy to write a super hero movie in super entertaining fashion with movies like Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnorak, Guardians of the Galaxy etc. But DC thought all they needed was the guy who directed Guardians to sell Suicide Squad. Oh my oh my how they were wrong. In one phrase, Suicide Squad is a gross mess that shines few times and far in between. Suicide Squad is no Guardians, not even close. The screenplay is messy. The visuals are gross but it aint Kill Bill. Kill Bill romanticizes with violence but Suicide Squad tries to romanticize with gross elements. To say the least, it doesn't work in favor of the movie. Idris Elba is

Nolan's Batman for me, a lesser mortal.


I still remember watching Batman begins and not liking it the first time. I felt it was too serious for a Super hero popcorn flick. It did not have the "super hero coming to the rescue" theme music. I did not know who Nolan was then. Then I watched Prestige, re-watched Memento and realized he also made Insomnia. I understood only partially his style of movie making and then watched Batman begins keeping in mind that it was his "fresh" take on Batman. 

The thing I loved at first were the dialogues. "To conquer fear, you must become fear." , "Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread." , "If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely – a legend" etc to mention a few. 

What I did not even notice is the color scheme until I saw Dark Knight and found there is a difference. I read so many articles to find out the purpose and I am not sure if Nolan even endorses this logic. But here is one.


Batman Begins had a dominantly brown color scheme to paint Gotham City as the crime infested wasteland shithole that it was. The Dark Knight's color scheme was mostly blue,which was done to create a contrast...at first it is used to create a vibe of calm relaxation in showing that Batman has really made a difference and gotten the city out of the slump it was in in Batman Begins...but then when the shit starts to go down,the blue turns out to be a corrupted false sense of security and is then used as a means of shaping the dark and bleak atmosphere that will carry over the remainder of the film

Coming to the background score, it got the sense of looming in danger and darkness the right way and in right proportions in both the movies. The pounding music in action scenes is not a symbol of heroism or victory or defeat but resounds the danger in Gotham city and the tension involved. 

Speaking of Dark Knight, what everyone took home from that movie was how Joker is "out of world" scary. Scare crow in first part was also brilliantly done but Joker was a concept that got depicted on to screen in no known terms to describe then. If the movie got released now, we would say Joker was Dark Knight's Joker scary. I don't know whose brain child that concept was but I definitely think Nolan had major share in it and Thanks to Late Mr. Heath Ledger for living up to it. 

What happened next was something no movie watching human was ready for. The Inception. Do I have to say anything else about that movie? Am I even qualified to write the words "Inception" and "Nolan" in one blog. It would be a blasphemy to utter a single word, even of praise, for that movie. All that we lesser mortals can say is "Thank you Nolan".

Now the last part in Batman series by Nolan. Right from the day the trailer or prologue got released I did not even bother about the script, I just wanted to watch it. I watched the trailer in IMAX before MI4 and I felt I had my money's worth satisfaction in that 5 mins or so of that trailer. 

One more day to go and keep watching this space if you want to see me going crazy about Nolan's brilliance and expertise and how brilliant the movie is and even calling it the Best Trilogy ever....sorry Lord of the Rings and Bourne.

Comments

Popular Posts